Monday, November 8, 2010

Humanism

The potential of man led to a new way of thinking known as Humanism. It was based on old Greco-Roman literary works. This spurred a growth of new studies, such as poetry and history, were called the humanities. Everyday I would hear news of another philosopher debating their idea with another. It was a cultural phenomenon and it influenced many painters of my time, including myself. 

The first humanist was, I believe, Francesco Petrarca. He studied old classical works to explain how the Middle Ages were a time of darkness and confusion. He believed that humans can learn more about how to make the world a better place by studying the works of old writers. After Petrarca, philosophy and humanism began to spread throughout Europe. I unfortunately was not alive during Petrarca's time, but I can still see how his work influenced life today. 

Education was changed because of humanism too. By teaching humanistic ideas in the schools of Italy, it attracted many foreign students. The core of education was based on the "liberal studies." These liberal studies included philosophy, rhetoric, letters, poetry, astronomy, mathematics, and music.

This new-found interest in human knowledge led to the people doubting the practices of the Church.Humanists read old biblical texts in their original Hebrew and Greek translations to get an accurate reading of them all. Religious uncertainty began to take place and continued on to this day. I predict that in a few years, the Church will be challenged and eventually lose power, but I am nobody to be making these conclusions. I am only a humble man who was made to serve God.

Sources: Spielvogel & http://www.all-about-renaissance-faires.com/renaissance_info/renaissance_and_humanism.htm 

1 comment:

  1. It is true that I classified the Middle Ages as a time of darkness and confusion. I am also happy to hear that humanism has spread throughout Europe. Why, I am also impressed that even you can tell my influence in your times! However, I am disappointed that more and more people are doubting the Church. I did not want the secular ideas and religious faith to separate, but rather harmonize with each other.

    -Petrarch

    ReplyDelete