Sunday, November 7, 2010

Raphel Sanzio

My name is Raphael Sanzio da Urbino. I need to make this quick as I am very busy with my work. I have begun to develop a cough because of my busy work ethic, but that will not stop me from completing what I have started. I was born on the sixth of April in the year 1483 in the city of Urbino. My father worked as a painter for the duke. My mother on the other hand, died when I was only eight years old. My father also passed when I was eleven. I had become an orphan and my uncle Bartolomeu, a priest, took care of me from then on. I continued to help maintain my father's workshop and I began to work under Pietro Perugino. I completed my training when i was about 18 years old and began to work for myself. One of my first works was the Baronci altarpiece which is now found in the church of Saint Nicholas of Tolentino. It was commissioned by Evangelista da Pian di Meleto who was a friend of my fathers. After I finished the altarpiece, I stayed in the area to complete more works such as the Mond Crucifixion and the Wedding of the Virgin. This made me popular and I was rushed with offers all throughout Urbino.
I had a lot of work, but I wanted more. That is why I traveled throughout northern Italy receiving different offers to work. I particularly enjoyed working in Florence. In Florence, I saw the works of a man name Leonardo Da Vinci. His paintings were complex and amazing. As a result, I began to practice this new kind of art style. I still had to make a name for myself, so I incorporated emotions such as calmness and tranquility to my paintings. During this high point in my career, I met a man named Michelangelo. Although I had no problem with this man, I felt like he had some kind of grudge against me. He would say that I was part of different conspiracies to bring my credibility down but that did not stop me from working. Later on, I was invited to Rome by Pope Julius II. Under the Pope, I completed one of my best works. This was when I started to make the so-called, "Raphael Rooms." My first addition to theses rooms was the Stanza della Segnatura, followed by The School of Athens, the Parnassus, and Disputa. At this time, it was evident that I had surpassed most of all the painters in Italy, including my old master. Michelangelo was angered by the fact the success of my School of Athens saying that I had copied his masterpiece in the Sistine Chapel. However, all I did was incorporate different influences and my own style to continue perfecting my style of art.
Now, I am starting to feel sickly but I must continue to finish my last masterpiece. I also took on a pupil named Giulio Romano to help me finish it. It is called the Transfiguration and I expect it to be one of the greatest pieces of art ever painted.

Sources: Wikipedia & Spielvogel

3 comments:

  1. Though you lived a short life, I see in you the characteristics of a true master of an architecture and painter. You are most famous for your frescoes in the Vatican such as the School of Athens. A great genius like you stands out among many of the artists during the Renaissance. You aren’t unrivaled by others however because Michelangelo and Leonardo Da Vinci also possess great skill. I hope you are able to develop your skills to the fullest and surpass the masters of the Renaissance.
    -Lorenzo the Magnificent

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Raphel,
    When I heard you were sick I was appaulled. How can a great man like you be sick? I grief mournfully on your death but there is nothing I can do except wish you a better time in heaven. You are truly a talented artist and a great man. Although we have only encountered a few times during your lifetime but it was a great pleasure to meet. Only if I didn't find Michelangelo first, I might of invited you to paint the Sistene Chapel! I also heard of your argument with Michelangelo and I'm sure he did not mean to disgrace you. Again, I morn for your death but your name would always be remembered.

    Sincerely,
    Pope Julius II

    ReplyDelete
  3. Raphael, I have heard great things about you; I know that you are a great artist. It is unlucky that you are sick right now, and I hope you feel better so you can finish your last masterpiece. My favorite painting painted by you is the "School of Athens". I love the great details and colors that you show in the painting. You really are a succesful man and your incredible works of art clearly show it.
    -Sultan Suleiman I

    ReplyDelete